Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 4: First Work Day

Even though it’s winter, it’s hot! And so dry that the sweat was evaporating off of our skin. In fact, moisture was being sucked out of our skin as we worked, walked, ate, rested. We probably didn’t do enough resting and drinking for the heat and work that we were doing. I was on the base team, which did the most heavy lifting—setting and leveling 11 concrete blocks and 3 formed ONIL pieces and measuring and drilled a 4” hole for the chimney that will be added by the third team after the second team has installed the firebox and the grate (called planchas). By night’s end, we had finished 30 stoves. A staggering number for our 17 members! Having not used the bathroom since morning, I made a point to drink 2 full Nalgene’s of water before bed.








Ron went all-out during the morning, felt dizzy, and had to stay at the church after lunch. It’s strange how you can tell who’s feeling good and who’s not by looking at their faces. Glazed-over eyes, flushed or pale skin, blank stare. I know he felt bad, not just physically. Ron is the kind of guy, when he can’t be there for everyone when they need him, even if they don’t feel like they need him, he feels like he’s letting them down. He gives so much of himself, and I can’t begin to say how good of a friend and confidante he has become over the past 2 trips. I hope he’s feeling better tomorrow.

Every meal was delicious, and tonight’s was no different. I was so happy to eat every meal that was served. Yet my nose has grown intolerant to the smell of the kitchen. I don’t know what it is. The cleaner, the stove, the rice, something. And tonight it was complicated by the smell of 25,000 children’s multi-vitamins that we counted and sorted into snack-size bags. To be distributed to Paquila on Thursday and Pabeya on Friday.

Whether it was sympathy pains for Ron or the smell of the kitchen and the pills… Late, late Monday night I felt some stomach grumblings coming on. Oh, no. The fruit in Antigua, water from the shower in my mouth, a gnaw on my dirty fingernail. What had I done to become susceptible to the agony that was waiting for me! A quick trip to the bathroom revealed the dirty (and smelly) truth. Ugh! I returned to bed, still not feeling bad, just a little disheveled.

No comments:

Post a Comment