Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 7: Medicine and Photos

The morning started out cool, which was a nice change.


Jim got a beautiful photo of the sun coming up over the side of Volcano Santiago, what appears to be the most active volcano in the region, about 15 miles away (that’s a major guesstamation). The next closest volcano is Santa Maria (about 10 miles), and the volcano just up the hill from Paquila is San Tomas (about 4 miles). Having watched too many episodes of “Worst Case Scenario,” I wondered how quickly we could escape the area if any of the 3 erupted full-scale. A breakfast of pancakes, and medicine/photo day began!

We organized two stations of dewormer, adult vitamins, children’s vitamins, Gatorade, toothbrushes, and toothpaste. In my station, the families, mostly women and children, would pass from Marta (who asked all of the important questions—are you pregnant, how many in your family, how old are they, what are their names), then to Sandy (who gave them dewormer to chew and swallow or to drink for children under 2 years old), then to Shirley (who handed them Gatorade; many of the older women didn’t like), and then to me for a toothbrush and toothpaste for each member of the family.

Our station was the lesser used of the two. We saw 18 adults (puberty and older) and 19 children, but we knew we didn’t get them all recorded. The primary station saw 87 adults and 86 children. That’s a total of 210 residents of Paquila who will feel a bit better for a while. The parasites from the water will be eliminated with the use of the water filtration systems. However, there is still the challenge of roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms, which can be transmitted due to poor sewage systems. While we were working today, we saw men walking with large pipes on their shoulders. Evidently they were laying sewer pipes in various parts of the community, most just uphill from the church. When we were delivering photos to the house tonight, we were surprised at how much work already had been completed. We saw several new latrines that are connected to the new lines. I cannot imagine how difficult it was to hand-dig the holes so deep for the pipes and then to cover them.
I’m getting ahead of myself. After the medicines were distributed, Soracha and Louisa took the children to another area, so the women could concentrate on learning about the stoves and water filters. Only one man represented his family. His wife had died. I don’t know what the local traditions or expectations are related to re-marrying. I didn’t ask. One of a thousand questions for another day. Raul explained the parts and basic assembly of the ONIL stoves as well as maintenance on the stoves, planchas, and chimney. Then we handed out the various parts of the water filters and helped install the pieces correctly. Then they collected their children and departed for home, and we reset for another group. After the third group, we were done.














After lunch (watermelon again!), we gathered photos of the sponsoring families, a certificate from the local church, and cooking utensils (spatula, spoon, and ladle). Then we separated into our various groups and went out into the community with our various leaders (Pastor Gaspar, Jorge, Marta, Francisco, y Solomita) to deliver these items to the families. At each house, we presented the certificate, the utensils, and the photo. Then we took a photo of them holding the photo of the sponsoring family. That way, the family in the U.S. can see exactly how their donation was used.






I was able to contribute two sponsored stoves—one from my parents and one from a close friend. My mom wasn’t really keen on the idea of her photo hanging in someone else’s home, but my friend was even more adamant about not wanting to send a photo. Since I have to see her on a regular basis (and because my parents have to love me; it’s like a genetic law or something), I opted to bring two photos of my parents.

I don’t have many photos of them together, so I chose a photo of my mom and me flying to England in September 2009. It was a special trip for both of us (her first international trip, tracing family ancestry, etc.) For more about it, see http://explearn4.blogspot.com/. For the photo of my dad, I debated between two photos. My favorite is him lying on the lounge chair—toboggan and reading glasses on, RC Cola nearby, Alaska magazine in hand. The photo I brought was taken the same day. Him standing in front of the foundation of the house at the farm, smiling from ear to ear. I don’t think he even knew I took it. He was doing what he loves to do the most—talking about what he’s building. I know he enjoys the building part, too, but when he talks about the decisions he’s had to make in building their new house in Vonore, you can really get him talking. And he’s so proud (as is the entire family) that everything is working so well. Ask me about the cool siding! He is so meticulous in every detail you could imagine. Since they have done most of the work themselves, without much hired help, it’s a slow process. But I couldn’t imagine a safer, sturdier, more beautiful place for my parents to grow old, or for me and my nephew to play/fight over the bedroom with the best view. (He’s 9. I think I’ll let him win.) The day of the photo, I remember my dad played with my dog Chloe, trying to get her to jump up onto the retaining wall. One of many good days had in Vonore and even more to come. A favorite saying at our house: “The view is always better in a house by the lake.” And: “I hope my ship comes in before my dock rots.”

I was fortunate enough to be able to give my photos to families who meant something to me. On our first day here, a girl name Lorca befriended me. She is 12, I think, which means she’ll be marrying and starting a family within the next half-decade. Very sweet and a little more shy than some of the other girls. I remembered her name and the names of only a handful of others from the very first day. When we arrived at her house, she was there with her mother. I told her and her mother in Spanish that the photo was of me and my mother. And I took a photo with them both in front of the stove. I thought my mom would like that.

The next house was one where I remember building the base of the stove. It was a duplex of sorts, with the living quarters on one side and the kitchen on the other. I left my dad’s photo there. I thought he would appreciate my ability to lay level (although irregular) block as well as my use of a brick hammer, a level, a plumb bob, and a drill with a 4” saw bit. On the way out, I learned that Lorena lived there. Lorena was also one of the girls from the first day of playing. I have photos of both of them to help me remember until I’m back in Paquila.

(FYI: When I mentioned that my parents were building a house in Vonore, Louisa mentioned that she had led a mission trip to Vonore and knew exactly where I was talking about. I’ll have to ask her where she worked. But now, it’s very late.)

Just before dinner, I asked Pastor Gaspar if he recognized the woman who was weaving the hammock that I saw on Monday. He did know her, and he led me and Ron to her home to look at her work. It was my mistake because it was not a hammock she was weaving; it was a belt, like the ones they use to hold up their traditional skirts. I was speaking in broken Spanish. Gaspar was speaking in Spanish and K’iche. The woman was speaking in K’iche only. Ron was speaking in gestures. And everyone else was laughing. I was trying to ask if I could purchase a belt from her. Somehow, the planets aligned, and she understood. Doscientos. 200 quetzales, which is about $22USD, for what must have taken her weeks to complete. It was worth more, I thought, but she was tickled that I accepted her offer. That was likely more money than she earned in weeks. She was laughing and smiling when I gave it to her. Even funnier was that she sold it to me out of her laundry basket, where she recently had cleaned and folded her clothes.

We retired tonight after a good dinner and a lot of laugh with the children and mothers. Many are regulars, but I can’t forget Diego, who hardly let go of Ron’s hand long enough for him to work today.

Tomorrow we will be reunited with her friends in Pabeya. I hope to find everyone using their stoves and water filters and doing well. I hope everyone is able to be there during our visit. The 3.5 months we’ve been away feel like such a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment