Last October I returned and immediately went through my closets, scaling down anything that I didn't need or use. Clothes I haven't worn in a long time. I got rid of a lot of stuff. I simplified my life quite a bit in light of the experience I had had and the things I take for granted.
But this trip, I've noticed that my frustrations have been pointed outward. I have become easily frustrated by the pettiness and ridiculousness of drama going on at work. Everything from people who waste food and resources to people who argue over how a credit card can be used. When there are such bigger problems in the world, why are these issues even regarded as issues? I've come to the conclusion that I cannot change people, only experiences can. And that associating myself with these close-minded people is a waste of my energy (and my time). I love them, but I can't keep up the facade that these matters matter to me. Someone else can fight the battle of the credit card. It's just not worth getting upset over. And if that is all someone has to argue then they really need to do some soul-searching on their priorities in life.
I will continue to assimilate back into American (and HPU) culture, but I will constantly keep my eyes open for opportunities to make a positive impact because I know they will come.
At an institute on social entrepreneurship on Tuesday, someone said, "Little cubic centimeters of opportunity are being thrown at us all the time. It's our choice to ignore them or to pick up one that really means something to us." When I find my cubic centimeter of opportunity, I will not let it pass.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment